Therapist HIGHLIGHT - Megan Campagna

 





What started you on the path to helping others...
In my experience, I don't think I have ever met anyone in my field who has ever told me that they just woke up one morning and thought about doing this for a living, but that it was a very specific path that led them here and I would have to say the same goes for me, as well. In fact, most if not all of my previous jobs growing up, and in young adulthood, had something to do with helping others. I remember being in my early teens and teaching at our family dance studio, specifically younger kids, ages 2-4. It may seem like a tall task, but I cannot tell you how satisfying it really is when they start to learn and retain the information. It also is a perfect way to teach younger children how to let loose and have fun. A lot of what we teach clients in adulthood, as well. But my biggest path that led me here was honestly my father. Growing up, my dad was in the air force reserves and went on a lot of deployments overseas. Without sharing too much of his personal experiences, I learned at a very young age, how sometimes our systems are not always designed in the best way to always help the person that needs help the most. It was that particular moment and so many others, that led me to make the decision to become a therapist. I always thought even if I couldn't change the whole system, maybe I could make people think a little different, or speak for people that couldn't speak for themselves. So far, I think I’ve made a pretty good choice.

What does it feel like to see a client progress and respond to therapy...
This is truly one of those feelings that are indescribable; and I look at it as a huge privilege. I don't think most people understand the magnitude of how challenging it can be sometimes for people to seek out therapy, so when someone does and they make progress, it can be an amazing experience. I consider myself blessed to be a part of in this job. There have been many instances in my job over the last decade or so that I have witnessed great progress and there are a few that stick out the most. One being someone who I worked with who was recently released from parole. Although this person was mandated by the court to see me, it didn't mean that they were incapable of change; it just meant that like many other things we do in life, it may not be our first choice. I remember being out to lunch with my family and seeing that they were working where we were. Like most times when I see clients in public, I don't make myself known, but this particular person had seen me and approached me when I was lagging behind my family as we were leaving. They wanted me to know the amount of success that they had since they finished the anger management program with me. They wanted to let me know that even though they started off hating anger management and even admitted to not liking me, that it was probably one of the best and most humble experiences of his life and he appreciated the work that I do. I still to this day, give him 100% of the credit for making and implementing those changes but that was one of the few moments in my career where I was speechless, and I do love to talk so that says a lot. It was one of the best feelings I have ever had in my career because it just proves that no matter what choices we make, everyone is still capable of change. It is really a beautiful thing. The unfortunate part too is a lot of the times we as therapists don't always get to see how a person's life turns out or what happens, so when we do, it makes everything work it.

What keeps you optimistic about the work you do...
I think the biggest thing that keeps me optimistic is that people are really capable of change. Unfortunately, in the world we live in today if we don't witness it on a regular basis, it can be hard to believe it is possible. I cannot tell you how many times someone has come into my office and told me that they don't think they can quit drinking, smoking, have a day without depression, etc., but then when they start to implement things we talk about and see some positive outcomes, it can change their whole perception and outlook on life. People realize they are so much more resilient than they ever thought. Then this leads them to also encourage others to seek therapy or to realize they have it in them to also make positive things happen for themselves and then it becomes a chain reaction. Life can't get more optimistic than that!

What do you enjoy doing outside of work...

I love spending time with my family, and I may have a slight obsession with my goldendoodle, Finnegan. My husband and I love to travel so these past few years have been challenging but we are traveling in different ways and making things we never thought we would be interested in fun! We love being outdoors and seeing what our country's beauty has to offer. Our favorite trips to date have been to Lake Tahoe and Yellowstone National Park. Since we are from Western New York we are also diehard Buffalo Bills fans so every Sunday, you will find us in front of the television cheering on our team and getting to go home every second we can to see our loved ones have been a very important thing for us.

How do you make a client comfortable working with you...
I try to be myself because I think that is the most genuine approach. I don't try to pretend to be an expert on all things, that my relationships are perfect, or that I myself, don't also struggle with the same things some of my clients come to me for help with. I want people to feel like they are talking to someone who genuinely cares and wants to help and see them improve. I always encourage people that my office is a judgement free zone and if they think what they are telling me is bad, I can promise I have heard worse. Yes, sometimes there may be experiences where I say something that someone has a hard time hearing, but that is also part of the therapeutic process. I had a client once tell me that something I said was a really hard thing to hear and she was frustrated at first, but then realized that it was something she really needed to hear and still thanks me today for being honest with her. I also encourage people that every therapist has their own methods and personalities and that if you do not feel like one particular individual is the right fit that this is completely okay. I always encourage people that you need to feel comfortable with talking and disclosing your most personal things too and if the first person you see isn't that, then talk to them or talk to the intake coordinator and let them help you find a better match. We do not take offense to this at all! That is why there are many of us from all different walks of life, age, diversity, etc. We are here to help in any way we can and sometimes that is finding someone who maybe a better match.

What would you say to someone who is trying to find the courage to see a therapist...
The fact that you are even considering finding a therapist is very brave and for that you should be proud of yourself. I understand that it can be incredibly challenging to search the internet for the perfect therapist, deal with insurance companies and copays, and all the other things that are not always enjoyable when trying to find a provider, but once you make that first appointment you are saying to yourself that "I matter," and that is half the battle with trying to make changes in your life. Also, I think sometimes people feel that needing help with things means that we are weak or are not able to handle things on our own and I feel like it is the complete opposite. It takes a lot for us to admit we need help and for us to reach out to others is incredibly courageous. And I will let you in on a little secret, most therapists, also see therapists!

What is something interesting about you that most people don't know...
I am a huge Disney fan. I cannot even tell you how many times I had been there as a child or even in adulthood. It was one of my fondest memories as a child, so I continued to go as an adult and actually turned my husband into a full-blown Disney fan as well. You will definitely find me at the parks at least twice a year, if not more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healing from forgotten trauma

Celebrate Trans Awareness Week: November 13-19, 2021